Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Myles and Me


A dog is a man's best friend. Always guiding with you, always staying by your side, and always playing with you. My first dog is like that, but let's just say he showed it in a different way. At the age of 13, my family and I traveled to Winters, California to pick up a small puppy for my birthday. As I read my birthday card before we pick up the puppy, my family were whispering and giggling about something. When I finished reading the longest birthday card I believe any child could have read, baby Labradors started jumping out 2 vans. I always wanted a lab, but I knew my parents wouldn't get one cause all the work they told me. I asked my mom if we can go pet them, but she said,"Go pick one." I was shocked! I ran to the puppies and I saw one that was so funny but looked to wild. The breeders told my parents recommended me having a certain pup, which was just lying down doing nothing. I end up choosing him over the wild one. As we were driving he wanted to be on my moms lap instead of being in the box. I decided to name him Myles. It fits him because not only we drove about 2 to 3 hours to Winters to get him, but my mom loves that name. The first day having him home was a good day. At night, he started to whimper and whimper and whimper. I guess it was normal for a puppy to cry at night cause he was scared. Later that week, my parents told me that a friend of theirs told them that he will get used to the environment and don't worry about the whimpers. As his whimpering stopped, his trouble begins. He started eating the cats food. Eating hair ribbons. Myles chewing on his blanket. Running around the house. Eating my sister's Barbies. Pooping my sister's Barbies. Swallow a quarter. Pooped out the quarter, which was standing up. Yeah, this was a dog from hell as we started to think. When someone comes home from school or work, he would stick his whole head out through my blinds and watch them walk to our front door. My window blinds were basically broken cause of him. I bet my neighborhood knew how I slept because they could be able to see me. The "horse" wouldn't stop being bad. He nearly hate my hermit crab, Krabby, when i put him down to dry. He had the hermit crab in his front teeth, showing it off. As we moved to Grove Circle in Benicia, he started to be calmer. The whole backyard was his. Unfortunately, his poop became bigger and bigger each time I pick it up. He's a healthy dog with a mighty big appetite for anything except fish and broccoli. We limit giving him house food the best we could, but when he's putting on the puppy sad face, we give in.

When the movie "Marley and Me" came out, my mother knew to take me to watch it. As we went to watch it, I saw some people bringing in their dogs to watch it, too. The dog grew up the same way my dog grew up. Always getting in trouble, eating everything, and wouldn't listen to anybody. When the movie progressed when he started to become older and more calmer, my dog is like that now. Everything in the movie is just like my dog. When the sad part came, where the owner described about Marley's adventure's to the veterinarian, it hit me. When the owner had to let the dog go, I never thought this was coming but I teared up. I realized that my dog gone through nearly everything with me through my teenage years. He's been there for me. He's more than a dog to me. He's my Marley, my friend, my hairy brother.

No comments:

Post a Comment